The battle system and Pokémon catching system are now fully functional!
The following features have been implemented:
- Type effectiveness (all 18 types, dual-types); no more zero-damage Bubble attacks from Blue's Squirtle ;)
- Unique base stats for all Pokémon
- Same Type Attack bonus (STAB)
- Status effects, including flinching
- Stat increases/decreases
- Priority moves (e.g. Quick Attack, Helping Hand, etc.)
For Pokémon catching, the following features have been implemented:
- Catch rate math to match exactly what's in the core series games
- Scripted dialogue to give catching sessions a twist
Still to work on:
- Additional graphics
- Inventory system
Free exploration is returning!
- Up to two actions per day, including: interacting other students, battling trainers, catching wild Pokémon, studying, and more in the future
- Interacting with characters is how you'll eventually progress individual character routes
- Some locations, characters, and events may be restricted based on the day of the week, time of year, etc.
- Character locations and availability will change throughout a given week, but their locations will be depicted by the chibi models on the map
- Free exploration may not be available on all days of the week depending on scripted story events
Welcome to the fifth "Ask Me Almost Anything" (AMAA) post, where we answer your questions as development on Pokémon Academy Life continues. Can you believe we haven't done one of these since July 2016? Whoops!
For those who have just started following recently, each time we post one of these, the goal is to share some insight on what goes through our heads when we consider or implement ideas. Why did we choose to include something and not another? Why did we set up different types of content a certain way? Hopefully this series will shed some light and help you understand a little more about the game's development.
Unfortunately, we won't be answering all questions (hence the "almost" in AMAA). If you asked something and it wasn't answered, either it's impossible for us to answer without being spoilerific, it's already answered somewhere in the game details, older AMAAs, or we simply couldn't understand it.