[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Thoughts on Fandubs? (Demo Only) - The Pokémon Academy Life Community

The Pokémon Academy Life Community

The official discussion forum for Pokémon Academy Life
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:24 am 
Youngster

Good day, lovely people. :mrgreen:

I was just wondering what people think of the idea of having 'fandubs' for the Academy Life demo? Certainly not professional dubs by any means, but as a way of spicing up a Lets Play or something by giving the characters their own voice. I'm not sure how many demos the developer plans to release before the main game, but if there are to be many more updates to come... yeah, no.
Just to be clear, I'm NOT retreading the voice acting thread already explored on the site. Heck, I've only seen this LP dubbed idea done twice on the internet before.

I'd also like to know the writers'/staff's thoughts if possible, should you'd need certain permissions, credits etc. to ensure that the fandubs aren't being made for nefarious or monetary reasons.

Thanks
- John :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:27 am 
Poké Fan

I mean shouldn't be any problem to make in into a mod - iirc PAL is ren'py and while I only have a very basic understanding any python programmer worth their salt should be able to. Happy to provide voice work as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:29 pm 
Youngster

That's good to know. I have no idea how modding works, but obviously it would involve a handful of visual format changes, script doctoring, dialogue tweaking to complement proper line delivery; and of course voice casting.
Not to mention advice from staff/writers on how to approach this.

I also haven't done many fandubs myself, but if programmers out there are happy to make a mod, I'd be very grateful! I'll probably be taking just one route (one roommate, two electives) in the whole LP. So it won't include all the demo characters.

I'll get in touch with any programmers or staff that would be willing to help. It could be a tedious process, but hey: Academy Life is awesome and it deserves all the promotion its getting! :D

I'll provide more details on schedules, dates and so on if this generates any interest.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:42 pm 
Staff Writer

While we've made it clear there will be no official voice acting for the games, there's no problem with anyone dubbing anything in the game for fun. People do it with other visual novels all the time.

Regarding your question about demos, yes the plan is for there to be several more before the full game is released.

My current recommendation is to wait for the next demo to drop. We're all hard at work on it right now (we've made more progress in the last month than the 6+ months beforehand) so hopefully it isn't too far away, but I won't give any exact dates because we simply don't know.

Once that's out there will be a fair bit more content for you to fandub. Go wild. As for actually implementing it in the game, I feel like it'd be a lot of work, but my understanding of coding is admittedly limited. I think it works better as a YouTube project rather than an actual mod for the game.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:10 pm 
Youngster

Thank you for taking the time to respond, SW!

Waiting suits us both. At this time, there's a lot of work I've got to do as well. So I'll probably get started on the project when I get a good break.

I was open to modding in the assumption that I needed to disclaim the fandub in some way (and to make it easier for voice actors). Putting a disclaimer in the project won't be a problem. ^^
I wasn't planning on using mods, just open to the idea. Aside from a few long winded sentences, it should be just a matter of patience and finding collaborative voice actors. :)

Hope the game development process is going well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:05 pm 
Youngster

Good day, everyone.

Now that version 1.0.4 of the demo is now released, I have a couple questions, preferably for VisualJae or at least the writing team. If I were to set up a casting call for the Pokemon Academy Life demo, would I be permitted to use promotional material to go on the casting call page? (E.g. The rock intro, demo announcement, or any sort of material in general.) If so, how would I go about crediting the developers of the game?

Thank you and hope you're having a nice day. :mrgreen:

-John

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:29 pm 
Staff Writer

Just linking to our official YouTube page and Twitter page and such should be fine. All the relevant information is contained on those pages. There's zero problems with just linking the YouTube videos on the PAL channel.

Just make it clear that this isn't an official dub from the team behind the game.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable