[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
Big update on our plans for Pokemon Academy Life - The Pokémon Academy Life Community

The Pokémon Academy Life Community

The official discussion forum for Pokémon Academy Life
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:58 am 
Staff Writer

Hey everybody, people on these forums are getting pretty restless regarding the silence. Apologies if you've felt neglected, but understand we may have nothing to show, things we can't show or just simply be really busy.

Follow our artist/lead writer dmjh93's stream for the best source of updates.

https://www.twitch.tv/dmjh93

And here is his Discord, which serves as the de facto community for PAL. https://discord.gg/5WA6bvq

In addition there's the Twitter, if you're interested - https://twitter.com/pokemonvisual/with_replies

Anyway, with that out of the way, let's get down to business.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You might have seen on the Twitter that Ethan is replacing Tierno as a roommate option.

I've seen some frustration expressed on here in the past that we keep revising the intro, and that's a fair enough complaint because it halts forward progress, but this in particular is very important. The team behind the game has always felt Tierno is kind of superfluous. If you want a chill roommate, Brendan is there, and he's much more popular to boot. Tierno finishes near the bottom of popularity polls, and we already have an X/Y roommate rep in Calem. We were honestly considering just removing him as a roommate entirely, as that would save us a lot of time going forward.

Speaking of time, here's the real major announcement of this thread. The team behind PAL has come to terms with the fact that at its current scope, PAL will literally never be finished. Thus we as a team easily agreed on what needed to be done. The game will no longer be three years long, instead being cut down to one year. This probably won't surprise anybody.

I mean think about it, Persona (which we take heavy inspiration from) is a year-long story, and that has a full team behind it. We're a small group of six or seven people, all of which only work on this game in their spare time. We make no money (we unfortunately CAN'T due to Nintendo bringing the hammer of God down onto us) and the work we do just isn't a remote priority for any of us in the face of study/work/whatever else we do. And we had the gall to even entertain the possibility of a story that triples the length of an average Persona story? And with more social links than them to boot? Nah.

Anyway, with the removal of the three year system, that means that our plans of having certain characters like Dawn and Ethan join Kobukan Academy in the second and third years had to change, lest they be removed entirely. Obviously the team discussed this and decided these characters are too popular and were being looked forward to far too much for them to be cut, so we'll find other ways to fit them in. Ethan replacing Tierno as a roommate was an obvious choice, and we think everyone will appreciate it. Nothing is set in place for the others, but Dawn, Silver and some other popular characters from the second or third year will be in the game. Unfortunately we've also downsized the amount of social links for scope reasons, and with our new vision of the game some characters like Iris, Liza, Tate, Maylene and Candice are unfortunately not gonna be possible to fit in as character routes. Unfortunate, but we still have tons of options, and they weren't very popular anyway. We'll try and fit in as many cameos as we can, but they're not going to be important characters.

To level with you guys, while the first year was mapped out and had been for a long time, we had basically zero things planned for the second and third years anyway, so this is only a good thing. Greater chances the game will actually be finished, huzzah!

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and hopefully this puts a lot of the worries and concerns you guys on the forums have had to rest.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:04 am 
Poké Fan

Thanks for the update!

I'm personally pretty thrilled that Ethan is replacing Tierno. Brendan wasn't really working for me either so, assuming Ethan is a part of the same friend group, I'm more excited for my non-Student-Council-friend-group playthrough.

I am glad to hear you are reducing the scope. To be honest I have never believed for a second you would complete the game in the original vision, especially when you announced your intent to have a full battle system in it. Just one year will still be a monumental task. I was certain that at best you might release the first year, promise a sequel, then fade away.

I'm sure you've already considered this, but what about spreading your current story plans across the three years? I'm sure you meant for the climax and ending to be with graduation, and what Red and others would do as adults. I assume there'll be a number of uneventful/skipped days regardless, so simply increasing the pacing is an option, but perhaps seeing the days fly by too quickly will make for a worse experience. Pros and cons.

You could also revamp the Academy to be a single year entirely, or a summer school type program. Those are much more extreme though given how prestigious you've portrayed it and the work you've already done. Guess I'm just interested in knowing more about what you've considered and how you've decided.

Personally Rosa is my most-wanted future student, followed by Kris and Lyra. I don't know the popular opinion though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:53 pm 
Delinquent

Thinking realistically, Pokemon simply isn't complex enough for students to require 3 years of education and mastery. Well, maybe besides competitive play. The characters would also have to noticeably age in these 3 years, so it's understandable that you had to cut this down to a third of the original planned content. Will this mean that the content within the first year will increase? Anyways, I'm happy with this change, and feel that your team will feel considerably less rushed. Still sucks that Iris and Candice aren't routes anymore...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:13 am 
Ranger

I'm very happy to see the way you decided to improve the game, despite the fact you need to cut content, but if you can have a complete game one day, I think you did some smarter chooces:
-cutting the original time of 3 years, to a simple year can be more appreciable, because one year is long enough to play, and I don't imagine you creating 3*365 days as long as the 1st day, or me playing that much time. :oops:
-listenning to your fans is not that popular in the gaming world today: not many enterprises really listen to people (don't need to put examples, everyone can found one very easily).
-Tierno was boring, indeed, he does have is personality, but that wasn't enough for him to be a good character, but musical jokes related (electric class with Major Bob) is a good idea to make him a really interesting secondary character. :lol: :geek:
-One year is cool why? Because each year must be take as different. I think during my high school (3 years in France, like you wanted to make for the game), each year was so different and I did live each of them very differently. The people I know, classes, events.... Making a full game with the same people in the same line -I know you wanted to add characters as the story continue and even events from time to time- can be boring near the end. It's better to make a single great year than 3 boring year, it's little taking enough butter for one bread, but you put it on 3 breads instead. And if the first game was good enough and you're ready for the 2 and 3 years, why can't you make a second with a third game? Naturally you will make them differently, and by so, each year will have his own atmosphere. :mrgreen:

Anyway, keep doing your work, it's a great fangame! Good continuation! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:35 pm 
Youngster

Thought I would drop by, check how things are going and leave a little word while I'm at it.

Of course, I can't say I'm not disappointed : less routes, les content, etc..

BUT this is certainly one of your best decision, not even kidding. I was a bit skeptical for three years, considering the details you were putting in the game for the demo, and I'm glad to see the team putting the scope to one year only : it gives a finite goal, with a plan already made for it (good to hear!) and that's way better than the daunting second and third year to fill with content.

Can only encourage the team to do their best and what they can at the same time : I don't see this as a step backward at all, and I hope everyone else also sees the improvements it shall bring (at least, imo)

Maybe a bit more communication, even if there's nothing to show, just a little "we're still here, no worries" from time to time is all I need.

Thx for the news!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:13 am 
Youngster

Out of curiosity how dose this end up effecting the character routes/relationship aspect of this game?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:01 pm 
Youngster

Given she was already in the game, I really hope Sentai!Skyla is still around. Too cute for words, and the whole Sentai fan angle is nostalgic to my childhood.

Given the need to combine the three years' characters into the same year, does that mean the player character essentially transfers in as a second year student? That would allow for the younger-looking students to be first years, and the older ones to be third-year students. Seems like it'd introduce the least complications.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:51 am 
Poké Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:11 am 
Poké Fan

For your first point, technically Red is incredibly far behind everyone else already. We've had little insight into the actual curriculum, so it wouldn't be hard to adjust it so that Red would be equally out of his element.

I agree with all your other points though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:57 am 
Youngster

I agree that making the game three times bigger than persona is unrealistic, but you don't really need to make it like that in order to be able to go throught the three years you could stay in the academy. You just need to give the player the freedom to move certain days each year for the three years the player will stay there. It can have the same amount of events it could have in the entire year you are planing to put but in the three years. You can even have like three arcs in the game and each arc pass through a year. This way we could have a graduation event and it won't cost more work. But's it's only a suggestion, it's also fine if you put everything together in one year.

I support Ethan over Tierno any day. :)

I just hope for more events with May, she was my favorite but i cried to see only a event with her alone :c