It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Admins please read
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:07 pm 
Poké Fan

ScottpilgrimFMAB wrote:
Gouki wrote:
ScottpilgrimFMAB wrote:

Sadly, no matter what we do, we lose the legal battle. Let me explain.
First off, we have SOME advantages as a fangame that is VERY different from Pokemon games.
We use original assets, have composed music not from the original games, and the BIGGEST difference is the fact that is plays out like a Visual Novel, not an RPG. The reason Nintendo takes down games is because of obstruction of sales. If the game keeps their games from making money, they'll kill it to make people more inclined to buy the real ones, which is why Uranium and Prism were destroyed(Sun and Moon were coming out around the same time and they were building up hype). But there are a LOT of things that make us lose. The fact that we use all the names and likenesses of Pokemon and trainers, as well as the title, and now the Battle system and Catching system make it even worse for us. Also note that Nintendo could also just say "Welp we're suing you for copyright lol" and we'd have to give up EVEN IF we had solid evidence that it was fair use, specifically because lawyers cost money, and no one wants to go through that mess that is the American Justice System. In the end, as long as PAL doesn't mess with sales for the Pokemon games and doesn't announce a complete release date, we'll be safe from Nintendo taking us down. Will they? I wouldn't be surprised. I'm 100% certain Nintendo knows of this project in some shape or form. Do they care enough right now? Probably not. Will they in the future? Only if we obstruct business. So right now, we have to lay low and enjoy what time we have.

Your arguments about obstructions of sales make sense, however, I believe once the game is fully written there will still be a way to release it if Nintendo wants a CnD. You said :
Quote:
But there are a LOT of things that make us lose. The fact that we use all the names and likenesses of Pokemon and trainers, as well as the title, and now the Battle system and Catching system make it even worse for us.

Then, by changing the name of everything refering to Pokemon, and maybe the battle system and some arts assets, the game will have "nothing" related to The Pokemon License, and will be transformed in a classic VN - since dialogues which are the core of the game are not related to the Nintendo.
It will be a shame since part of what make this game really funny and interesting came from the Pokemon aspect of the game, but I believe it could stay a great game without it.

Literally not possible in any shape or form. So much of PALs story would make NO FUCKING SENSE if it wasn't Pokemon. If they released it like a normal game THEN released a patch somewhere where it brought all the Pokemanz back, that would be sick, but thats another matter. Getting rid of any of the Pokemon Elements means the game would need a complete rework, and at that point it isn't even what people came for. Sorry, but that's the truth.

You forgot one thing (just a IMPORTANT/GOOD precision): the rework need to change... the pokemon. Then, what is the new reason to go to Kobukan? Names of the regions, cities, even objects? What monster/ennemies are you battling now? Delinquents? Blue (with new name) directly? All the sprites... The scenes, and the story. Then the rework make it just a new game with other heroes and other story....

Maybe I'll repeat you but I confirmed your sentence: This idea or change somme elements may just erase PAL and make an other "normal" visual novel on is corpse... Game who'll be never as famous as the one we love today.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:54 pm 
Youngster

Heyyo It's Kro again. How ya doing?

Checking out this thread again to find a reply to my post and a lot of reply's to that post. See as some was talking about taking anything that has to do with the Pokemon license out the game. I thought I should go over my comment as mine stated to try and "distance" the VN from the Pokemon brand.

So where to start? Well I guess first off the topic of copyright and the reasons for shutting down fan projects.
As ScottpilgrimFMAB stated one of the reason is due to "obstruction of sales." On this note as it's visual novel not an RPG we should be fine.
Another reason for it is "dilution of brand." This one is more serious. If a copyright isn't properly policed by the holder they can lose the right's to it.
The Pokemon company, as well other game company's, know that it's the fans' enthusiasm and love is the best marketing tool, enthusiasm is contagious after all.
So they don't want to shut down fan projects but they have to prevent dilution of the brand.
Which is why in my post I said try creating "distance" by calling it Kobukan academy.

Where here, playing this game, on this site, looking over the forums because we love pokemon. We enjoy the passion that the writers, the artists, the designers are put in to PAL and their doing it because they love pokemon. Take pokemon out of it then it's not the same game.

We enjoy sharing the love we have for the things we love.
We enjoy feeling the love for the things we love.

P.S
I think I went a little overboard with the love stuff but I don't think it's wrong... Plus I had fun writing it. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:21 pm 
Poké Fan

Kro wrote:
Heyyo It's Kro again. How ya doing?

Checking out this thread again to find a reply to my post and a lot of reply's to that post. See as some was talking about taking anything that has to do with the Pokemon license out the game. I thought I should go over my comment as mine stated to try and "distance" the VN from the Pokemon brand.

So where to start? Well I guess first off the topic of copyright and the reasons for shutting down fan projects.
As ScottpilgrimFMAB stated one of the reason is due to "obstruction of sales." On this note as it's visual novel not an RPG we should be fine.
Another reason for it is "dilution of brand." This one is more serious. If a copyright isn't properly policed by the holder they can lose the right's to it.
The Pokemon company, as well other game company's, know that it's the fans' enthusiasm and love is the best marketing tool, enthusiasm is contagious after all.
So they don't want to shut down fan projects but they have to prevent dilution of the brand.
Which is why in my post I said try creating "distance" by calling it Kobukan academy.

Where here, playing this game, on this site, looking over the forums because we love pokemon. We enjoy the passion that the writers, the artists, the designers are put in to PAL and their doing it because they love pokemon. Take pokemon out of it then it's not the same game.

We enjoy sharing the love we have for the things we love.
We enjoy feeling the love for the things we love.

P.S
I think I went a little overboard with the love stuff but I don't think it's wrong... Plus I had fun writing it. :D

Na! Don't worry, there is no one here who want PAL shut down by Nintendo.... ;)